Following approval of the Construction Environment Management Plan (CEMP) on 21 February 2017, demolition and remediation works have commenced on the MPW site.
Approval for the removal of existing services on the MPW site is also expected this month, and will involve:
- Verification that existing services have been disconnected
- Decommissioning of existing services
- Excavation of soil above existing services
- Demolition and removal of existing services
- Survey/creation of as-built drawings
- Haulage to an on-site stockpile for reuse and/or recycling
- Disposal off-site of demolition waste materials
- Backfilling and compaction of trenches to required levels.
Current works underway on the MPW site include:
- Demolition of identified buildings
- Concrete and brick transported by dump trucks to designated stockpile areas for further processing, sorting and sizing
- Scrap steel stacked on-site to be processed for recycling.
- Remediation will continue in the Chatham Village and the Bridging Yard
- Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) sampling of monitoring wells ongoing.
The approved hours of work are Monday-Friday (7am-6pm) and Saturday (8am-1pm). Activity outside of these hours is sometimes granted when there is a need to access the site urgently or to minimise disruption to the community. Please phone 1800 986 465 should you have any enquiries.